Is plasmapheresis an effective treatment for Guillain-Barre syndrome?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 21 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: does Guillain-Barre Syndrome get worse with plasmapheresis? my mother is currently on plasmapheresis for GBS and they said her condition is diminishing today , i just need to know is that Normal for this disease.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gullian Barre Syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that your mother is diagnosed with GBS. The only treatment is plasmapheresis. It can help but not always. The only other treatment is supportive care treatment for breathing problems and physical therapy for weakness. Unfortunately we do not have a lot of treatment options for a person with GBS.

Even with treatment a person can get worse before they get better. Everyone is different and hopefully she will respond to treatment soon

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 4 minutes later
do you know what's the prognosis on recovering from this syndrome
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prognosis is guarded

Detailed Answer:
Prognosis with GBS is always guarded. In other words we really have no idea how a person is going to respond to treatment. They could end up on a ventilator if their muscles for breathing become affect. Or they may just have weakness. Most patients though do okay with supportive care and go home. But they usually do have residual weakness after having GBS. At this time only time will tell how things are going to go for your mother.