Is plaque formation in the arteries a cause for concern?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I read that soft/vulnerable/unstable plaque in your arteries is the more dangerous type to have. How can I make it more stable? I read that it’s basically in a fibrous cap that gets weathered away over time from high blood pressure, inflammation, and many other things and overtime can rupture. I read that your body can naturally strengthen the fibrous cap and can rebuild it to stability again as long as you lower your blood pressure and other things and give it the environment to repair the cap and make it stable. Is that true?
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I read your medical query and I would like to tell you that yes its true that body has its own healing abilities if we give it proper environment and adopt healthy lifestyle habits in our daily diet.

But at the age of 29 why you are concerned about all these things.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: Is plaque formation in the arteries a cause for concern? 2 days later
because I went to the doctor before to get ct scan for a headache and she said she found a little plaque in artery in my neck. that wasn't the cause of the headache or anything.

can you tell me how the body naturally heals plaque in the arteries and how it stablizes it?

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the feedback

Plaque formation in the arteries is a natural process and minimal or small amount of plaques are present in almost all individuals by their adulthood.

Thats not important, whats important is we should not indulge ourselves in those habits or lifestyles which promote plaque formation or accelerate their growth.

If we follow healthy lifestyle routine the rate of plaque growth in the vessels will be minimal and it wont create any problems.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap

Follow-up: Is plaque formation in the arteries a cause for concern? 10 hours later
are there benefits to taking fish oil for cardiovascular health? if so, what?

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Yes fish oil or consuming fish twice or thrice a week is good for cardiovascular health.

Fish oil contains good amount of HDL which is considered as a good cholesterol and it also help reducing LDL cholesterol levels which is considered to be bad cholesterol which promotes atherosclerosis.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap