Is physiotherapy effective to recover from rotator cuff tears?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I have been dealing with a torn rotator cuff for 2 years. It was partial thickness tear of the supraspinatus, with also some labral damage. I went to pt and it worked well, I was able to function however I could not lift anything above my head without pain. I went to pt for about 4 months. I continued my day to day routine but would feel intense pain once and a while. I got stem cell injection about 3 months which did absolutely nothing. I fear I have hurt it again. Can pt be effective for a fully torn rotator cuff or is surgery the best option. Thank you for your time.
Thu, 24 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgical repair- arthroscopic is recommended.

Detailed Answer:
For a fully torn rotator cuff surgical repair is the best option. You need to undergo an arthroscopic surgery for proper relief. Regular physiotherapy is needed after the surgical repair to regain the full range of movement of the shoulder joint. Do get an MRI scan done and consult an orthopedician to plan for the surgery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Is physiotherapy effective to recover from rotator cuff tears? 2 days later
Thank you for a informal response. If I did have a fully torn rotator cuff would it possible to lift weights.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Shoulder movement will be restricted.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
With full rotator cuff tear you lift the weight but you cannot have the rotational movement of the shoulder. If the MRI scan has suggested a full tear then it can only be confirmed after an arthroscopy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Is physiotherapy effective to recover from rotator cuff tears? 36 hours later
Thanks for another great answer. I saw an orthopedic surgeon yesterday and schulded arthroscopic surgery for January 30th. If a follow a strict rehab program following surgery, is it unrealistic in your opinion to target XXXXXXX 1st as a date to start lifting again? Thank you in advance

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can target XXXXXXX 1st.

Detailed Answer:
After an arthroscopic rotator cuff repair it takes 8-10 weeks to heal properly and with physiotherapy you can regain all the movements by April. You can plan restarting with your normal exercise and lifting weights by XXXXXXX as your muscles will also regain strength by then. Do start the exercise gradually so as not to overstress the repaired cuff.
Regards.