Is pharyngitis and sinusitis a contagious disease?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: am I contagiousis pharyngitis and sinusitis contagious
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 19 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Yes, the initial phases of upper pharyngitis and sinusitis are contagious because it is of viral in origin. But, in adults the infection is not that severe when compared to that of children. Children lack immunity and hence they are prone for cross infections. But, in adults it is not as severe, as the immune response in adults is far better than that of the children.

Even though the virus can spread through fomites and breathing, it is not going to infect everyone in the surrounding. Only those susceptible individuals can attract infection.

Hence, I can assure you that the URTI with which you are suffering from are less contagious unlike other serious disease such as tuberculosis, measles, chicken pox, etc.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon