Is persistent vertigo indicative of a brain tumor?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: For the past 3 weeks, I get dizzy sometimes when I lay down in bed or roll over to change sides. Not everytime I aly down, but quite a bit. It's not a room spinning dizzy, but more like I'm on a boat. It also kind of feels like a jolt goes through my head when it happens. It's hard to explain. It only lasts a few seconds and only happens when I lay down. I'm scared its a brain tumor. I have no other symptoms though. No weakness, mood changes, headaches, etc. Just the random dizziness/brain zap feeling. Should I see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
The symptoms are likely to be due to labrynthitis, an inflammation of the inner ear. It is less likely to be due to a brain tumor or other lesions.
If possible, it would be good to see an ENT doctor and confirm.
If you are not able to, you can try taking Betaserc 16 mg three times a day and see if it would disappear.
If not, it would definitely be advisable to have yourself examined by the doctor.

Do get back to me if you have further queries.