Is persistent upper abdominal pain a sure sign of pancreatic cancer?
My primary doctor ordered full chemistry blood work along with CA-19-9 marker. Everything including the CA19-9 marker came back normal. The ultrasound did not find anything abnormal. The MRI without contrast did not find anything except for a cyst on kidney.
I asked both my primary care doctor and the GI doctor for the Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) but they both said I don't need it because they don't thank I have pancreatic cancer. Instead, they prescribed Pepcid (Primary doctor) and Protonix (GI). I don't think I have acid reflux or GERD because my discomfort is not cramping or burning pain.
I am frustrated that my doctors did not listen to me. Am I unreasonable or are they unreasonable? From what I read on the internet, GERD symptoms are burning pains, sour taste in the throat; pains are worse when lying down. Whereas, the pain of pancreatic cancer is dull. This is why I am scared because my pain is dull.
1. What do I need to do to convince my GI doctor to perform EUS for me?
2. Do Protonix and Pepcid belong to the same family of drug to treat GERD?
When I asked my GI doctor why he would not order EUS for me, he said my blood work and MRI do not indicate that I have pancreatic cancer and therefore no need for EUS. However, from what I read, blood work (including CA19-9) and MRI are not sensitive enough to pick up small pancreatic tumor. When the CA19-9 is elevated, it's too late.
I don't understand why can't I have EUS before it's too late
You do not need EUS at present . find details in answer .
Warm welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly with attached reports .
* Dull upper abdomen pain has so many possibilities , even gastritis or ulcer can
be there without burning also .
* Only dull ache involving upper abdomen does not indicate to be afraid of
pancreas cancer .
* There are associated other features to doubt for the same as
- jaundice - low appetite - nausea - vomiting - weight loss - back pain
- gall bladder , liver enlargement - others .
Depending upon the symptoms of the patient , your consultant decides certain
diagnosis and needed investigations best suitable for you .
1. I do not consider that you require to convince your GI doctor for EUS , as you
are not in need of that .
Presently continue medications for around 7 - 10 days , observe for the
progress of the symptoms along with dietary management .
Later on during follow up with the doctor , discuss about further need of upper
GI endoscopy or EUS .
2. Protonix is proton pump inhibitor group medicine pantoprazole , while
Pepcid is H2 receptor antagonist medicine famotidine , both has different
mechanism of action . Protonix grades better above pepcid .
* My recommendations at present for you
- Do not panic at present , only upper abdomen pain is not relevant to fear of
pancreas cancer .
- Always clinical experience matters most above internet findings .
- Dietary precautions with avoidance of oily , spicy , non veg , junk foods .
- Regular walking in fresh air , exercises , YOGA help great .
- Avoid smoking , alcohol if consuming .
- Manage to have regular smooth bowel evacuations .
- Check to have sound regular sleep of 8 hours .
- Maintain your blood sugar , body weight , cholesterol levels .
Wishing you fine health ahead .
Welcome for any further assistance .
Regards take care .
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of upper abdominal pain
- Severe upper abdominal pain
- Breast cancer history and upper abdominal pains
- Does upper abdominal pain signify liver cancer?
- Upper abdominal pain and gurgling
- Giardiasis upper abdominal pain
- Mirena upper abdominal pain
- Upper abdominal pain and nausea
- Ncp on upper abdominal pain
- Upper abdominal pain