Is persistent pain in the thigh associated with DVT?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am a 54 year old woman with a 4 week History of anterior and lateral thigh pain on left. Pain feels deep, a little throbbing, but mostly deep ache. Some night sweats. No known injury. I do exercise and initially thought I overdid it. Not getting better though. Worse in morning. Wakes at night if sleeping on left side. I do have a history of DVT and PE on left about 16 years ago in calf after knee surgery. No swelling, bruising, or skin rash. Otherwise healthy. No other symptoms currently. Take 50 mcg of synthroid daily. No other meds. What could this be? Should I be seen?
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DVT less likely.

Detailed Answer:

A persistent pain in the thigh that you have without any swelling or pain at rest is less likely to be due to DVT. A pain of DVT usually aggravates on walking. If the pain is a mild one- not more than 4 on a scale of 10 then it is likely to be a muscle pain. Rest, increasing electrolyte rich fluids and oral muscle relaxants can help you. In case the pain is not relieved by pain killers or there is redness and swelling then it is best to get a color doppler scan done to rule out DVT.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal