Is persistent feeling of dried semen on the hand a sign of cleanliness OCD?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: I am constantly worrying that dry semen from my hand, if I could not wash, is being spread. I know that it is not a health issue in itself, but it is a sanitary issue for me. I have been very clean as of late, but the idea that in the past i didnt always clean up properly makes me fear that I spread semen after it dried to other places.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dry semen is harmless

Detailed Answer:

I am trying to understand your concern however let me tell you that there is no reason to be afraid that an pregnancy could have occurred from contact with dry semen. Dry sperm is dead so no worries.
As far as hygiene is concerned, it is important to wash your hands immediately, however it is highly unlikely that a contamination may have occurred due to dry sperm.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 9 hours later
Thanks for the answer, so in general then dry semen will not spread around? I understand that the spermatozoa dies, but the actually semen fluid itself, once dried will not spread? Sorry I have OCD and I need detailed reaffirmation.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Highly unlikely

Detailed Answer:
I understand, but I assure you that dry sperm does not contain any semen fluid, because, as the name suggests, it is dry! Once dry, it is highly unlikely to spread, or anything like that. Vacuuming or brushing can take care of any residues.

It is important to identify if your OCD is getting in the way of your normal daily activities or affecting your quality of life and get help. Moderation and balance in everything is the key to a healthy lifestyle.

I hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad