Is persistent fatigue indicative of emotional or physical health problems?
Both options are possible in this scenario
Your symptoms can be due to a condition called hypothyroidism (a condition where the body lacks the thyroid hormone).
On the other side, loss of energy, sleep changes (oversleeping in your case) and loss of interest in daily activities are some common symptoms of Depression (a common and debilitating mood disorder).
My suggestion for you is to do the Thyroid tests to clarify if you have any thyroid problem as well as a complete hemogram (to rule out any underlying anaemia) that can explain your symptoms.
If the thyroid tests are normal and you still have feelings of helplessness or tiredness, the more likely it is that you’re dealing with depression.
So, both emotional and physical problems can be the root cause of your actual symptoms. I suggest consulting your doctor also for a clinical check-up for the diagnosis and treatment.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Elona Xhardo, Endocrinologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What health issue causes fatigue
- Fatigue and balance problems
- Can leukemia cause persistent fatigue, weakness?
- What could extreme fatigue and weight gain indicate
- Cancer-related fatigue physical therapy
- What does sore throat fatigue and chills indicate
- Floaters fatigue ear problems diagnosis
- Persistant fatigue post angioplasty
- Can kidney problems cause fatigue
- Liver problems and fatigue