question-icon

Is persistent fatigue indicative of emotional or physical health problems?

Posted on Fri, 13 Nov 2020
Question: I feel so tired and drained all the time. I could sleep all day if I wanted to. I dont really do much during day...feel too weak to do things sometimes too...dont know if its emotional or physical.
Answered by Dr. Elona (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Both options are possible in this scenario

Detailed Answer:

Your symptoms can be due to a condition called hypothyroidism (a condition where the body lacks the thyroid hormone).

On the other side, loss of energy, sleep changes (oversleeping in your case) and loss of interest in daily activities are some common symptoms of Depression (a common and debilitating mood disorder).

My suggestion for you is to do the Thyroid tests to clarify if you have any thyroid problem as well as a complete hemogram (to rule out any underlying anaemia) that can explain your symptoms.

If the thyroid tests are normal and you still have feelings of helplessness or tiredness, the more likely it is that you’re dealing with depression.

So, both emotional and physical problems can be the root cause of your actual symptoms. I suggest consulting your doctor also for a clinical check-up for the diagnosis and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Elona Xhardo, Endocrinologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Elona

Endocrinologist