• question-icon

Is persistent facial soreness after a head injury a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Head Injuries
Question: I hit my head (left temple inside hair line) on the freezer door about 1 hour ago and have kept ice on the site. it is very sore (I did not lose conscienceness and did not break the skin- no bruise but lump).
the left side of my face is sore - no blurry vision.
Should i be concerned and get further checking - I am on vacation and no 24 hour urgent care facility
close by.
thank you for your prompt response.

XXXXXXX XXXX
age 65
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
should be ok, rest, ice continuation and pain killer

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Sorry for the pain that you must be experiencing. Unfortunately the soreness is expected, it may also get worse. In many cases of trauma, the pain tends to plateau by day 2 to 3.

You can apply the ice for 15 to 20 mins at a time, 2 to 3 times a day for the first few days if necessary.
IN addition to the ice therapy, the use of anti inflammatory medication , if you can use these types of medications. Because of the anti inflammatory effect, may work better than the tylenol for some persons.
Eg naproxen, ibuprofen

There are criteria called the New orleans criteria which can be used to determine if a person needs a CT scan after minor head trauma but this is only used if there was loss of consciousness at the time of the injury.
Since there was no loss of consciousness, a CT should not be necessary but if you are unsure, then you can be assessed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James