question-icon

Is persistent coughing indicative of swollen epiglottis from an allergy?

Posted on Sat, 21 Nov 2020
Question: Hi Doctor,
I was having cough from several days so i visited a homeopathic doctor and he saw high risen epiglottis. He advised that it is due to allergy and has given medication accordingly and said will settle down in a week. I have tried to capture the same in a pic which is attached, Please advise
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (21 hours later)
Brief Answer:

Chronic cough.

Detailed Answer:

1. The high rising epiglottis has no clinical significance nor does it require any treatment.

2. In the attached image, beyond the epiglottis and soft palate/uvula, granular pharyngitis is visible. The anterior pillars of the tonsils are congested (red) and there is a coated tongue.

3. Get blood tests to rule out eosinophilia. Allergy tests including total IgE levels will help. Medication for allergy, reflux should settle your cough.

A cough syrup, lozenges and medicated gargles will also help. A local ENT Specialist should, in addition, be able to do a Videolaryngoscopy (VL'Scopy), Chest X-ray, throat swabs or sputum examination.

4. Share these investigation reports here or directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti for monitoring your progress and further advice.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Sumit Bhatti, ENT Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist