Is penis of a baby formed under the hormonal influence of the testosterone during pregnancy ?

Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hello, i would liek to know about testosterone in boys early stages of life. Is a healthy baby born with penis the result of testosterone exposure during pregnancy? thanks
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 43 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thank you for the query but I feel this is not clear.
Would you please elaborate the second part of your question?
Are you trying to know if penis of a baby is formed under the hormonal influence of the testosterone during pregnancy?

Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee
Follow up: Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Good Day Doctor XXXXXXX

Yes i want to know if penis of a baby is formed under the hormonal influence of the testosterone during pregnancy ?

Suppose a 14.5 year old CDGP boy, otherwise healthy, takes short course of the weak androgen oxandrolone....would this be his body's first exposure to androgens?

Or is there androgens indigenously produced historically in a healthy 14 year old boy?

Thanks in advance and best Regards,

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX.
Thank you for your answer. I do apologize for delay in answering due to some problems with my computer, situation beyond my control. I would like to answer your last query first. You are absolutely right it is the testosterone which forms the penis during pregnancy. I would like to to explain how it happens. A child inherits 50% of chromosomes from each parents including sex chromosomes.
If the child inherits X chromosomes from each parent like XX the child will be female. But if the child inherits X and Y chromosomes like XY child will be male.
Here Y chromosome will totally dominant and Muellerian inhibition substance(MIS) will be produced inside testis that will suppress female sex and lead to growth of male external genitalia. That MIS is like testosterone.
I am going now to your first query.
A male child usually starts reaching puberty usually at the age of 9 to 10yrs. It starts in a part of the brain called hypothalamus. From hypothalamus a hormone is secreted which stimulate pituitary gland to secrete FSH and LH hormone. LH hormone will stimulate Leyding cells in the testis to produce Androgen hormone among which testosterone is one. I therefore conclude a healthy boy of 14.5 should produce testosterone in his body.
Did I answer it? Use any answer clarification before you close our discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
Thank you for the advice Dr XXXXXXX

Well i know someone who took oxandrolone when they were 14. They are really concerned that this was the first time androgens circulated in their body, and somewhat upset that it was exogenous. But as you explain it appears androgens are present even in a male baby! .....So can you kindly assure this is definitely the case.

Is there any other signs, other than the male genitalia, to confirm that testosterone is/was present in a male baby and child? Your suggestions and opinion would be greatly appreciated . Thank you Dr XXXXXXX

Best Regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX I understand if someone was suffering from Constitutional Delay in
Growth and Puberty and they were treated with Oxandrolone. This is standard treatment
for this condition and showed encouraging results. They should not feel bad about it. I think to find the level of testosterone is to perform blood tests. I do not think there is a good practice to tests for signs in such people who had taken exogenous androgens.
I strongly advise you to see Paediatric endocrinologist if there is a problem persisting.
kindest regards Dr.S.K.Mukherjee