Is penile thrombosis, a varicose vein and clot caused due trauma?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Hi, my questions are about vein thrombosis. For a very long time I have had a short, swollen horizontal blue bulging vein on the penis, right below the head. It is usually very noticeable. When stretched it becomes vertical and appears much smaller (??) but still visible. There is maybe a slight dark hue at one end. I think the original damage may have been caused by it getting caught in a zipper. It has never caused any pain and is not hard to the touch. The past week or so however I have noticed the vein appears to be swelling more temporarily especially it seems after hot water in the shower. I have tried applying ice to the vein and it appears to shrink temporarily also. I also have some much thinner but prominent red veins at the penis base, one of which has a small bubble or dilation. These too sometimes are hardly visible and sometimes larger. None of these cause any pain, or feel hard to touch. However they are unsightly and worrisome, especially the large blue one. My questions are - is this penile thrombosis, a varicose vein, a clot.... damaged valve due to trauma, or some other problem? The obvious fear is the large blue vein will swell or break when penis is erect but it does not, it appears much less noticeable. I have read online posts about bulging veins of this sort, and some have suggested aspirin, heparin cream, or are there any herbs or medication that may help? Or would this require surgery to repair and if so, how serious/involved would such a procedure be, and is there a risk of damage. Can provide photos if needed to help clarify- Thank you for confidentiality.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is not a serious issue at all. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have two prominent veins one at the base of penis and other on bellow the glans penis. All the veins from erectile tissue and from the penis drain in to dorsal venous plexus locate just behind the base of the penis.. One of the tributaries of the dorsal vein is always prominent in almost 70% people and has no significance at all. Since all the veins in penis are occluded during erection there is no danger of this vein getting torned. Please do not try to squeeze these veins neither they need to be treated either by surgery or medicine. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 14 hours later
Hi, thank you but this does appear unusual, it is clearly swollen prominent and sometimes very much enlarged. I am glad that you had said it is not serious but may I provide pics? I wanted to know about thromobosis and varicose veins in the penis, this has been discussed a lot online but I wanted a professional opinion. I was also wanting to know if you think this basically is a distended vein, or clot tissue in the vein or a damaged valve. Particularly because I have seen heparin cream and aspirin suggested, and other remedies but if I knew what it was, I would know what course to take. The fact that it shrinks/expands with hot or cold water is odd. Much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer: It is definitely notthrombosed vein. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. Thrombosed veins are always hard and feel like cord and never get dilated or get compressed neither they change on exposure to cold or hot water. This is just a abnormally dilated vein and will not cause any harm unless it gets injured . Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation . I shall be happy if you can post photograph so as to help me to make precise comments. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 21 hours later
Hi OK thank you I have included two photos. As far as an abnormal dilation, is there any kind of remediation that can be done? Topical vasoconstrictors, or sclerotherapy. Thank you for advice.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You do not need any treatment at all. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for uploading photographs. You have just abnormally dilated veins and there is no harm to you by these dilated veins. Do not attempt any sclerotherapy as it will lead to scarring of the penile skin and will have problem in erection. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.