Is papillary urothelial hyperplasia a benign or a malignant growth?

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Is papillary urothelial hyperplasia a concern for malignancy? it was diagnosed on a bladder biopsy due to microscopic hematuria on routine urine check. no previous hx of cancer. ct scans all negative. suggestion was to wait 6 months for repeat biopsy. is 6 months too long to wait?
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need for anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxxx and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i must assure you that your biopsy doesn't show cancer.
With CT scan, cystoscopy and biopsy, being normal, you can relax fully.
After one month, you should check urine routine for blood, or hematuria.
If blood is absent, repeat your ultrasound scan abdomen at 3 months.
If that's normal, repeat again at 6 months.
If urine and scan are normal at 6 months,then at 1 year.
Always check your kidney function tests, urea and creatinine, sugar,urine routine and micro-albumin,at 3 months,6 months,and 1 year.
Hope your general examination is normal, and B.P.,is also normal.
Drink 8-10 glasses fluids daily.
Feel free to contact me, at any time.
Wish you well.

Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 8 minutes later
can you explain more about urothelial papillary hyperplasia and what may be causing that? there is literature out there that says it could be a precursor to bladder cancer. blood pressure is normal...urine culture and cytology normal....routine blood work is normal. is there a chance for this to eventually become malignant disease? thank you for your time in answering these questions.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
remote possibility of cancer in non-smokers.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
Your question is a good one.
There's a remote chance of cancer changes. Hence the need to check for blood in urine, at regular time intervals.
But this's a very infrequent chance, especially in non-smokers.
If you're a smoker, you're advised to stop smoking.
Live in the present, and don't worry about the future.
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 26 minutes later
I am non-smoker. I still don't understand what could be causing this.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Now be relaxed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
You don't need to worry at all.
There's no particular cause for this. Anybody can develop this kind of change.
Be grateful in your prayers, that your biopsy was normal, and nothing more.
Regular check-up as advised earlier, is essential.
Wish you well.