Is papaya safe during pregnancy?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Is unripe papaya. Safe for 1month pregnant woman?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unripe papaya is not safe for one month pregnant woman.

Detailed Answer:
Hi & Welcome.
I can understand your concern.

Papaya, especially if it is unripe, contains certain substances which cause bleeding of placenta in early pregnancy which can lead to miscarriage. It is also known to affect the growth of the fetus.

My advice to you is, it not safe to abort at home without consulting a gynecologist because there is a high risk of severe bleeding and cramps if you attempt to do so.

So, consult a gynecologist to first confirm the duration of the pregnancy and the location of the pregnancy (whether it is within the womb or ectopic prgnancy).

The pregnancy should be within 7 weeks and it should with within the womb.
Then the gynecologist will prescribe you the medications to terminate the pregnancy.

Hope the suggestion give above could be useful.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 12 minutes later
please suggest me medicine to abort?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not safe to abort without consulting a gynecologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your reply.

As advised earlier because it may cause severe complications like incomplete abortion, profuse bleeding, pelvic or uterine infection, it is not advisable to terminate the pregnancy (abortion) without consulting a qualified gynecologist.

The gynecologist will do the proper clinical examination and an ultrasound scan be done. The duration of pregnancy should be confirmed by ultrasound and its location like it should be within the uterus.

Pregnancy should be within 7 weeks and it should not be an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy.

The gynecologist will prescribe you a kit containing five tablets.
One big tablet Mifepristone is to be taken orally first, then after 24 hours remaining 4 tablets of Misoprostol are to be taken orally at once.

After taking full kit, abortion occurs anytime between 6 hours to 5 days.
This should be confirmed by doing an ultrasound scan.

But in few patients there can be an incomplete abortion or excessive vaginal bleeding and in that case you have to visit a gynecologist.

Once again it is my sincere advice to you is do not make any attempt to abort without consulting a gynecologist.

Hope to have answered your query.