Is painful and black colored knot on the back of calve muscle cancerous?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have a knot on the back of my left calve muscle. The knot is hard and is turning black and blue and is spreading around the area of the knot. It hurts to the touch and is very sore. Wondering what caused this and whether or not, it's cancerious.

Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
From your description it sounds more like some venous varix, venous malforamtion or some benign subcutaneous lesions which could be inflammated at this point such as lipoma, atheroma or fibroma. In every case it would be smart to visit doctor who can decide is ultrasound or biopsy required. Maligancy is the last thing to think of and ir rarely manifests on such way. For home treatment, you should apply ice compresses on it, put antibiotc cream, keep legs elevated and rest. If there is redness around it or pus secretion, then you should take antibiotcs per os. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards