Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Is painful and black colored knot on the back of calve muscle cancerous?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
I have a knot on the back of my left calve muscle. The knot is hard and is turning black and blue and is spreading around the area of the knot. It hurts to the touch and is very sore. Wondering what caused this and whether or not, it's cancerious.

Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Lump
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
From your description it sounds more like some venous varix, venous malforamtion or some benign subcutaneous lesions which could be inflammated at this point such as lipoma, atheroma or fibroma. In every case it would be smart to visit doctor who can decide is ultrasound or biopsy required. Maligancy is the last thing to think of and ir rarely manifests on such way. For home treatment, you should apply ice compresses on it, put antibiotc cream, keep legs elevated and rest. If there is redness around it or pus secretion, then you should take antibiotcs per os. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor