Is pain in the lower left back associated with kidney infection?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Renal Specialty. Good afternoon, I just came home from three days in the hospital, suffering from kidney infection. Before leaving I started to have pains in my lower back, left sitde. Agonizing pain. Can this be contributed to my chronic kidney disease. Two days home, pain still there. Any answers.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pain in lower back could be due to either infection or stone in kidney.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

The pain in lower back that you have could be due to either kidney infection or stone either in kidney or ureter .

I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments.
1) Was the infection in kidney confirmed by relevant tests like urine culture ,Ultrasound Scanning etc?
2) Was a stone detected in kidney or ureter on ultrasound Scanning if done so far ?
3) Have you consulted Urologist during your stay in hospital ?

I would recommend you to consult qualified Urologist for proper clinical evaluation and get relevant tests done to establish cause for your pain .

In the mean time start taking antibiotic like Cefotaxime and Nitrofurantoin twice daily along with pain killers like Brufen twice daily.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.