Is pain in the kidney area while coughing normal after viral infection?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Lump
Question: I have been ill since with flu like symptoms for 9 days. Feeling better overall, except coughing. since 2 days ago the cough triggers an intense sharp pain in my side near the kidney.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably a muscle contraction during the cough

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

Yes i can understand your concern

Usually the cough might last a bit after e viral situation.However if the cough has been intense your muscles are tired and probably sometimes may produce some pain during the cough.

If you were my patient i would recommend to you as follows:

1. If your general conditions improve continuously than nothing to worry about and you can take painkillers if the pain disturbs you (if needed).

2. If the pain is constant or aggravates despite the presence or not the cough than it would be better to consult your doctor.

However i do not think this is your case according to the history you provide, no worries. You should only monitor your situation in continuity.

Hope to have solved your query

Regards and feel free to ask me again.

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj