Is pain in the area of the lymph node a cause for concern?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: If I have pain in the area of my lymph nodes, is that a bad sign?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Neurological cause is most likely - Keep anxiety and /or stress away..

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to HCM,

To recapitulate: Female/42 - Pain started in ear area > spreading to cheek > back of neck > jawline > and now breast bone - No dental or ear problem as seen by the respective specialists - two courses of antibiotics for supposedly sinus infection, chiropractor and acupuncturist did not help - Gyne says OK - low fever on and off for weeks is the only positive another symptom that you have mentioned...

From the classical history you have provided, the most probable causes are:

- Trigeminal neuralgia on the affected area.
- With or without cervical spondilitis.

I would advise you the following:

Talk to your Doctors about these possibilities, get referral for a Neurologist.
Get MRI of the cervical spine and for Trigeminal nerves which may show up a vascular loop.
Get an appropriate treatment for sedation of the excited nerves.
Get control over the stress and/or anxiety if you have.
Further treatment will depend upon the findings of the MRI and clinical evaluation.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early and proper diagnosis and a plan for proper treatment.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee