Is pain in right shoulder and arm due to heart attack?

Posted on Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Heart Attack
Question: What are the symptoms of a heart attack. My husband is 70 years old and is suddenly experiencing pain in his right shoulder and arm. He has high blood pressure. he has done nothing that he can attribute this pain in his shoulder too. He quit smoking 20 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Main is sudden left-sided precordial pain Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query, I am pleased to be able to assist you. The symptoms of heart attack are numerous but the main is acute left-sided chest pain that may last for about 30 minutes. Your husband if having a heart attack may experience: - Discomfort, pressure, heaviness, or pain in the chest, arm, or below the breastbone - Discomfort radiating to the back, jaw, throat, or arm - Fullness, indigestion, or choking feeling (may feel like heartburn) - Sweating, nausea, vomiting, or dizziness - Extreme weakness, anxiety, or shortness of breath - Rapid or irregular heartbeats During a heart attack, symptoms last 30 minutes or longer and are not relieved by rest or nitroglycerin under the tongue. So, if you are husband is having shoulder and arm pain, then it might not be necessarily due to a heart attack as it could be as a result of soft tissue or degenerative joint diseases. It is best you let your husband get examined by a doctor who can distinguish after evaluating him. Given his age, it is very normal to have articular pain. Pain due to heart diseases is possible but your doctor will need to evaluate your heart first. Hope this helps and please feel free to write back if you have any further questions. Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Nsah Bernard