Is pain in left side of face and body symptoms of RHS?

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was diagnosed with XXXXXXX Hunt 25 years ago. For several years i did alright( i have an underlying herplex simplex with breakouts usually one spot on my bottom and occ on lips.) I had a second flare up 5years ago and since then have recurring rounds usually every few weeks and it only effects the left side of my body anywhere between head,face,jaw to midsection, or groin area and pain radiates down left leg to feet. Everything I've read re: XXXXXXX Hunt says nothing about recurring cylcles or effecting any other part except the head region. Could something else be causing these symptoms other than the Ramsay?
I went the route of taking valtrex along with prenisone when these occurred but am leary of continuing these drugs long term. What can you advise?
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
no XXXXXXX hunt syndrome.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having pain in left side of face and body.

Answers and solutions for your queries.

1. XXXXXXX hunt syndrome - type 1, causes convolusions, loss of conciousness, tremors and gait disturbences where as Type 2 involves ear (tinnitus, vertigo and facial palsy).

In my opinion, you do not have XXXXXXX hunt syndrome (your symptoms are not suggesting).

2. Recurrent oral lesions could be due to oral herpes (caused by herpes simplex) secondary to low immunity due to nutritional deficincies or prolonged usage of steroids.

3. Another possibilty is Persistent pain (postherpetic neuralgia) secondary to latent viral infection. Pain along the path of the nerve that is sharp or stabbing, in the same location each episode, comes and goes (intermittent) or is constant and burning, and may get worse when the area is moved.

4. I suggest you to see an ent surgeon and evaluate with detailed history- to rule out (trigeminal neuralgia, temparomandibular joint disorders) blood tests (for varicella zoster virus, for deficiencies- serum calcium, vitamin b complex and haemoglobin percentage) special tests (lumber puncture, electromyography and MRI brain with spine). Treatment can be started as per the findings.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina