• question-icon

Is pain in arms while lifting a symptom of muscle strain?

Posted on Sat, 6 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: How would I know if I have a muscle strain in my ribs or if it is pleurisy. Where I work, several people have had pleurisy. I'm not coughing or sneezing right now. It hurts most when I lift my arms above my head or stand up...

I had been coughing some over this past weekend and sneezing occasionally, but it did not hurt. The pain started yesterday when I was walking. I was unable to walk my usual speed because I was short of breath and if I turned wrong, the pain would spike.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of both pleurisy and muscular pain is there.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Well, you are having symptoms suggestive of both pleurisy and muscular pain.
You had viral upper respiratory tract infection last weekend.
Now bronchitis (inflammation of airways) is common after viral URTI. And bronchitis can cause pleuritic pain and breathlessness. So pleurisy due to bronchitis is one possibility.
You are having chest pain which is associated with movements (lifting arms above head). This suggests muscular pain more.
Sorry for confusing you.
But I need more information about your symptoms to guide you further. So may I ask you few more questions?
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist