Is pain behind the head post injury along with left ear pain a concern?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Head Injuries
Question: Hi Doctor,

My Daughter who is aged 7 fell back on her head from 2 to 3 feet chair in the park on the Cement floor.

She cried soon after she hit the floor and came home crying. She is saying there is pain back of her head and times forehead and near left ear.

Is there anything to worry ? There is no bump or bruise.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Look out for the ominous signs

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that going by the description things do not appear unusual. If 'head injury' occurs, it will not be without manifestations. The main concern could be the ominous signs of head injury which are:
* Vomiting
* Severe headache
* Altered consciousness or Loss of consciousness
* Convulsions

I assume that none of these have occurred. Unless any of these are present you need not worry. If any of these occur, you would need to get a CT scan of the brain done.

Give paracetamol or acetaminophen in case the child is irritable due to pain.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
None of that happened, and I hope she is fine. She is playing and just came back and told me there is no pain. The only worry I had was how much stress from the fall the head ca take as there was no bumps or bruise, she was wearing a winter cap as well as she got hair. probably that saved the impact?

I was worried as most of the head injuries are un noticed and could be bad for kids. will keep a watch, but I hope nothing to worry so far.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the updates. Hopefully there is nothing to worry about. Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng