• question-icon

Is pain and irritation during bowel movement a symptom of haemorrhoids?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Lump
Question: I am getting irritating/light pain during stool discharge. This happened sometime 18 moths back too. If this is piles, how to do I overcome this.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks to be fissure in ano.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.

To recapitulate: Male/34 - visited a Doctor - tried stool softener earlier but not for long time - getting irritating/light pain during stool discharge - happened 18 months also - wants to know if this is piles, how to overcome this.....

Irritating/light pain does not occur due to piles unless they are thrombosed or strangulated.
Hence the pain is a symptom of a condition called fissure-in-ano. Piles can occur with this condition.

I would advise you the following. Please follow this strictly and you will get the results unless the fissure is chronic or has concurrent other problems that too need attention.

- High fiber diet.
Avoid all the foods and beverages and stress-like conditions which gives constipation.
Laxative for softening the stool- never allow the dose too much to cause liquid stools. With the liquid form you can always adjust your dosages to suit your needs.

Sitz bath- very important- just before passing a stool and after passing a stool.

Clean the area very clear of the fecal soiling that remains after cleaning; use cotton soaked in the same water to clean. No need to add anything to water.

You can apply liquid Povidone iodine locally. Apply nothing else.

5 day course of an antibiotic on prescription of a local Doctor if there is an evidence of infection. Pain killers with anti-inflammatory property if needed for the pain and/or swelling.

Add Pro-biotics and multivitamins.
Avoid stress and mental tensions at any cost; this is a very important factor.

Continue this for 3 weeks and most probably you may not need surgery. Since this is your second attack after 8 months try the above said measures and you will be fine. If there is no relief, it is always better to consult a General Surgeon and get a proper consultation, per-rectal digital examination if the pain allows and proctoscopy / colonoscopy to make the diagnosis and proper management certain.

If the results are positive you have to continue doing all this and take proper care.

I hope this answers your query well.

Please feel free to ask fir further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon