Is over dose of diltiazem ER life threatning?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi...i take 240 mg diltiazem ER daily in the morning which I did today. I accidentally took another one at 5:30 this afternoon. Do I need to be worried about anything?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You don't worry.You are perfectly safe. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You shouldn't worry. Diltiazem dose varies according to disease conditions and second dose accidentally taken by you will not cause any problems.You have taken second tablet after sufficient time and it will not effect you. But you should be cautious about symptoms like lightheadedness,dizziness,fainting,breathing difficulty.Overdose may also lead to bradycardia(slow heart rate), hypotension(decreased blood pressure),heart block and cardiac failure.If you have any of these symptoms then you should consult your doctor immediately. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX