• question-icon

Is online prescription for Adderall available?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I recently obtained health insurance, and am looking for a doctor to write my refill for my adderall (amphetamine salts combo 30mg) I've been prescribed for 16 years, for ADD previously I was having my rx sent to me from Rexall pharmacy in Toronto Canada, but now living in Tennessee.
I'm wondering if there is an online service that can be used, or if I have to go thru the entire process of finding a new doctor here
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks very much for your question.

Unfortunately, no doctor can prescribe controlled substances without examining a patient in-person. This means you will need to find a doctor in your area who accepts your insurance and is willing to see you for an evaluation.

I'm sure any doctor would continue prescribing you Adderall as it appears to have been highly effective for you.

If you ever need anything like talk therapy, I would be happy to offer you my services on this site!

I hope this was helpful for you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 20 minutes later
that is what I figured, I know that it has become very controlled as it tends to be abused. I'm wondering what you think to be my best way of speaking to a new doctor as a physician, due to the stigma associated with this medicine I was warned to not ask my doctor for it cause they would put something I my file stating that I'm seeking drugs? I never heard of this practice but is that something I need to be concerned with when dealing with a GP or should I forgo the GP and go right to a metal health professional?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I would approach your primary care doctor first, as they are usually comfortable prescribing these medications to people who really need them. Your doctor can always refer you to a psychiatrist if necessary. I wouldn't worry!

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist