Is one or two glasses of wine consumption while on Lorazepam safe?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I am a 40 year old healthy male with asthma. Recently I have been having anxiety due to my father's death. The doctor prescribed me lorazepam. Is it safe for a healthy person have one or two glasses of wine 12-14 hours of the last does of lorazepam.
eg
2mg of lorazepam at 9am
2 glasses of wine at 11pm

Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol increases the side effects of this drug!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

Alcohol is proscribed when taking lorazepam. I will advice that you refrain from doing so. If you are no longer going to take alprazolam, then give yourself 24 hours after the last dose before drinking alcohol. If you must take alcohol before then, keep the volumes minimal and only do so for social obligations and not because of the desire to drink much alcohol.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.