Is one dose of polio vaccine enough for a child?

Posted on Thu, 3 Apr 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello Dr, My son in 50 days old now. And as part of Free polio drive i had him vaccinated in Feb. But i understood that there is not going to be another round till next year. So just wanted to check if it can wait till next year or should i /Can i get it done at any pediatrician. And also if you can please tell me the vaccine schedule (How many doses required), That would help. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 20 hours later
Brief Answer: no not enough! Detailed Answer: Hi, You definitely should go to the local pediatrican and get the full schedule of vaccination as per your country of residence. Am not able to find out your country/city from your mail. Can you mention your place so that I can suggest the schedule. One dose is not at all enough.! What about the other vaccines for your 50 days old? Dr uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 18 minutes later
Hello Dr, I am staying in Bangalore. An as part of 45 days schedule i had the below vaccines given to my son. comvac 5-tff prevenar 13 rota virus vaccine polio vacc pff Please let me know if this includes the polio vaccine as well. If not please give me the exact name of that vaccine which i can ask the doctor for. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 hours later
Brief Answer: yes polio is included. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Yes you have given the correct vaccines. This has included the polio vaccine already as you have mentioned in your mail. Bangalore doctors will follow the schedule and advice of Indian academy of pediatrics( all over India this is followed) So do not worry. So just follow your pediatrician 's recommendation. Pl go to a qualified pediatrician or even a corporate hospital who will maintain the cold chain( proper temp control). Good luck Dr uma
Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology