Is obstructive sleep apnea a genetic disease?

Posted on Thu, 9 May 2013 in Genetics
Question: Is obstructive sleep apnea inherited. My daughter just before her second birthdays was diagnosed with sleep apnea and had both adenoids & tonsils taking out , I am worried my son aged 13 months also may have it . The other night his XXXXXXX care monitor went of , four times in one night .
Also , my daughter has started to snore again , is this ok ?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Yes, it has been statistically shown that if there is a family history of sleep apnea then an individual is at an increased risk of having it. You have mentioned about your daughter but not whether you or your spouse have it.

In your daughter's case removal of the adenoids and tonsils is not a guarantee that she will not snore.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your children all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 hours later
Thank you for your reply.

Is it possible that sleep apnea can return after the removal of tonsils & adenoids , I am sure she has had another episode of apnea but my Doctur just says to monitor the situation and log anything I see but I have tried to do this and keep falling asleep .
Is there a monitor I could get , that would be suitable for a 4 year old ?

Thanking you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

There is no guarantee that removal of tonsils and adenoids will prevent the recurrence of sleep apnoea.

Portable monitors are available and you can purchase them online through portals like XXXXXXX etc.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your children all the best.

Rajiv
Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician