Is numbness in the eye normal after a stroke?

Dr. Kampana

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Two years back I had stroke, no major impacts... off late, while sleeping at night, i feel like my right eye part is feeling numbness for a second or so... so i checked with doctor ... she took mra and mrv scan other day...and told me that there is no new findings other than for all the old multiple bleeding during the first stroke.
Is it normal for stroke experienced person to have this
Answered by Dr. Kampana 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit your neurologist, Get Vitamin B12 and thyroid levels checked.

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. There are various causes for eye numbness like Diabetes, Peripheral neuropathy, Sensory nerve trauma, Conjunctivitis, Sensory nerve compression, Cold, Cerebrovascular accident (stroke) or Eye injury.

Yes as you have a previous history of stroke and also presence of multiple old bleeds, these can have long term effects on the nerves and cause numbness.

Other causes like Vitamin B12 deficiency or thyroid disorders can also present with above symptoms.

I would suggest you to visit your neurologist for an MRI or EEG for detailed examination, better diagnosis and treatment. You should get your vitamin B12 and thyroid levels checked as well.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 17 minutes later
Hi
6 months back i had checked Thyroid and it was normal.
I was also taking multivitamin tablets till two months before.
Does this will have any negative impacts further
Answered by Dr. Kampana 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No negative effects. Get vitamin B12 level checked.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

No taking multivitamin tablets will not have a negative impact. As your thyroid levels are normal then there is nothing to worry.

I would suggest you to get Vitamin B12 test to ensure normal levels and visit your neurologist.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 1 minute later
Ok, thank you
Answered by Dr. Kampana 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Welcome.

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome.

With regards,