Is numbing with Novocaine sufficient to get both tooth extraction and bone grafting done or require general anesthesia?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Dental Health
Question: Hi,

I have to get a tooth extracted on the 20th with bone grafting so I can have an implant later on when I can afford it. With just 1 tooth and the grafting is it fine to just get numb with Novicane or whatever is used or should I get put to sleep? Also what is the chance of developing sepsis after the tooth is extracted since there will be an open hole? I have attached a pic of the X-ray.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Risk of sepsis is extremely low

Detailed Answer:

I can certainly understand your concern

I have worked through your attached query and images in detail.

For tooth extraction and grafting you will be given local anaesthetic agents like like Novocaine. It's relatively safe and it's effects are short lasting. So nothing to worry about it.

The risk of sepsis following this procedure is extremely low as it is carried out in a perfectly sterile environment with pre/post procedural Antibiotic coverage.

Hope I have answered your query.
Take care,
Dr. Suresh Heijebu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D