Is nuclear medicine parathyroid scan or ultrasound better?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 5 Aug 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Is nuclear med parathyroid scan better then utz ? They want to do 3 injections nuclear medicine
over 6 hours,is this normal ? What are the side effects of all this nuclear medicine ? Should I ask for only one injection ? Can hyperparathyrroidism cause dry eyes ?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nuclear scan better.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome. Nuclear thyroid or parathyroid scans are superior when comparing to any other method of thyroid imaging. it will show possible pathology very accurately and it can be replaced by ultrasound or ct scan. Radionuclide injections are used to be a marker in parathyroid which will allow us to evaluate gland morphology. Overall amount of radiation that patient receive is negligible,not for one ,three or several injections. so there is no need to be worried. hyperthyroidism can cause eye dryness.wish you good health. regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
my present endocrinologist is very acclaimed,but he has not treated me well.should I change to another endocrinologist in my medical group?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes, if you have some doubts

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
If you have some doubts about his competency then you should ask for another opinion. Thyroid and parthyroid hormonal abnormalities should be easily diagnosed and this is not difficult to treat in most cases.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj