Is nuclear medicine imaging performed after anesthetizing the patient?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Mon, 23 Jul 2018 in Cancer
Question: Yes when taking one of the nuclear shots should you be numbed first? How exactly does it work?
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It depends on the procedure and the route of administration

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
I have read your question and I understand your concern.
If you are going through a nuclear medical examination, then you will need to be prepared as your doctor or the clinic you are doing the exam will describe you.
Usually the shot is done intravenous, but it can be inhaled or swallowed. You need to be conscious for this. You don't have to be numbed if this is a normal procedure.
Then, after you are ready, they will put you through the scans and other equipments that will evaluate your condition.
After this, the answer will be clear and your doctor will be able to proceed with the right treatment for you.

Hope I have helped you! Wish you luck and good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad