Is normal for a baby to be constipated?

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Our female baby is 40 days old from birth. she constipates severely for her bowel movement. Last 3 days she didn't secrete her excreta. Please suggest us to make her wee in a easy go manner.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it is normal

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern but you need not to worry as it is normal for most of the babies.
Gently move your baby’s legs in a bicycling motion to help move the hard poo along her intestine.
If top feed give water( with added sugar )in between feeds, but do not extra dilute the feeds.
You can try anal stimulation with soft , lubricated feeding tube, Egnol drops can be given if the baby does not pass the stools for 2 to 3 days after consulting with doctor.
Glycerin Suppositories can be used as last option.
Hope i helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj