Is normal delivery possible with a single loop of cord around the baby neck?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Birth
Question: hello doctor my wife is pregnanet and she is 37 weeks and 6 days and all other report is fine.but the amniotic fluid index is 6-7cm .and there is single loop of cord around the neck of the baby.
our gynac has suggested us c-section to avoid further complications.just want to know whether there is any chances of normal delievery or any risk related to it.or as our doctor suggested we should go for c section .baby weight is 2.90 kg and color doppler examination of the foetus is normal .
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply

1. Amniotic fluid is little on lower side but not to worry as it decreases around this time of pregnancy.

2. One loop of cord around neck is normal. It is not an indication for C section.

3. You can wait till 40 weeks for normal delivery to occur.

4. Get an ultrasound scan done next week in a different ultrasound scan centre to know correct amniotic fluid index.

5. If possible show to different gynecologist next time to get second opinion.

6. Let me know where you live so that I can suggest a good gynecologist in your town if I know.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol