Is non-retractable foreskin of an infant a concern?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: My son is 5 month old. His penis foeeskin does not retract. He is passing urine without any issues though. I tried to retract it but don't want to hurt him. is it normal in kids. will his penis foreskin retract on its own in future?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

It is absolutely normal for the foreskin of many infants not to be freely retractable. Usually the problem resolves by 3-4 years and is not a cause for concern. Gradually you can start manually trying to retract the foreskin and to mobilize it but without trying hard. If it persists beyond 3-4 years of age, perhaps circumcision would be necessary.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 43 hours later
Today we noticed that his penis baloons when he urinate. It was normal till few days ago and was not balooning. is it normal?
Brief Answer:
It is a feature of the described condition.

Detailed Answer:
This happens when the foreskin is tight. Nothing needs to be done as of now. Wait and watch. Do as I had instructed.