Is negative HIV test after 28 days of exposure conclusive?

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: My condom was broke with sex worker in thailand before finish and I am go to HIV test after 28 days test is negetive but now a 7 days I am suffer with loose motions what I do and can I again a test after 3 months please help me .
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your present symptoms unlikely due to HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

Firstly I must tell you that HIV PCR test can be done before12 weeks and has high sensitivity and I presume that you might have taken a PCR test. But yes if you had any accident during intercourse such as condom rupture you must also get a 4 th generation ELISA test after 12 weeks.
Now coming to your symptoms of loose stools as initial symptoms of HIV is extremely unlikely. So I would suggest you not to correlate it with HIV infection. It might be due to bacterial or viral infection. I would suggest you to get complete haemogram, stool routine microscopy examination and culture sensitivity testing done. Drink plenty of water and oral rehydration solution. Take pre/probiotic once daily for few days. Eat bland diet and avoid oily, spicy and smoked food. Based on test results you might require antibiotics.

Hope I answered your query
Rating and review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 9 minutes later
what is the charges for ELISA test.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

ELISA test is for free if you take it at ICTC center in government hospital. In private it will cost around 500-1000 INR.

Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 5 minutes later
what is the chances as per report
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chance is extremely nil.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

In your case the chances of HIV infection is extremely unlikely. The chances of HIV test to be negative is 99%. Practically speaking chances are nil. But the test is actually for your psychological advantage.