Is negative HIV RNA test result 44 days after exposure conclusive?

Posted on Fri, 24 Jun 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello Dr XXXXXXX I took a rapid standard antibody blood test which was negative at 37 days, also an HIV RNA QL test at 44 days which was also negative. Is there any need for further testing?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to go for repeat testing after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

The rapid antibody test and HIV RNA test both are highly reliable and accurate after one month of the exposure but as the window period for HIV ranges from 15 days to 3 months you need to get tested again at the end of 3 months to get 100% confirm result as per international HIV guidelines.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist