Is nasal bleeding a symptom of DNS?

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I sleep with a towell over my pillow and sometimes I see a couple what seem to be red in color spots just on the threads of my towell. Does not get into the towel fabric itself. I have a deviated septum, blocked eustachian tubes, non allergic rhinitis. Any ideas or suggestions? I can scrape the spots on the towell off with my fingernail.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is common in DNS

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Health Care Magic.

I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad, I have read your question in detail, I understand your concern and will try to help you in the best possible way.

Problems like bleed or blood clots are quite common in people with DNS this is because their nose is more prone to infections and it's inner part keepts getting damaged with infection and inflammation which may cause bleed or pus in some cases.

In order to help you better , I would like you to give me some more information,

I will here by ask you some relevant questions to fill up the information gap.

1) Did you every get nose bleeds?
2) How often you find spots?
3) Do you often get bose problems?
4) What treatment your ENT surgeon suggested you?
5) Is there any fever these days?

Waiting for your input

Regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.

M.B.B.S ( Licensed Family practitioner)

Resident M.D.
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 34 minutes later
Infrequent nose bleeds and are very light. Perhaps about one every 2 weeks. Find spots about once every 2 to 3 weeks. Biggest nose problem is breathing thru one nostril which is on going. Ent doctor keeps me on fluticasone (flonase)' azelestine and saline solution. Take nasal sprays 2 times daily. Once in the morning and once at bedtime. No fever.
Doctor, did you receive my answers to your questions? Again, nosebleeds consist of slight blood on tissue when blowing nose which happensbinfrequently. Find spots about every 2 to 3 weeks but most of the time none. Only nose problem is not being able to breathe out of right nostril. Treatment consists of nasal sprays, saline solution and mucinex. No fever
Brief Answer:
Here are a few suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing back, according to your history the problem is because of your septum deviation, as I already mentioned, the deviated septum causes abnormalities in the inside of the nose and these abnormalities eventually make the nose more prone to get inflammed, infected or to get flu.

You have been taking medications that might have been controlling you problem to get worsened. But thats a truth thay untill you have this problem of deviation in nasal septum, you might not get a permanent relief.

There is another possibility in here that in parients with deviated septum and long standing allergies there might be nasal polyps which might bleed off and on.

Here are a few suggestions you can work on.

1) Don't panic about the spots on the towel they are quite frequent in people with DNS ..reasons I have told you already.
2) Meet your ENT surgeon and discuss about polyp (which is less likely to be there if you have been getting regular detailed ENT checkups.
Also discuss about any permanent cure for this.In my opinion permanent cure is going to be surgery but with that atleast you would get rid of these every day problems you are getting with your nose and respiration.

You can also consider taking second opinion about this matter and permanent cure If you think that this is too annoying for you and you are willing to go through a surgey instead. Here I want to say that surgeon will guide you about benefits and risks he will also tell you if you need surgery or you can be fine without it but do discuss this.

For now just use your medicines regularly you don't have to worry about these everyday small bleeds though.

I hope this answers your question.I you have any more questions i am there to answer.Stay blessed Have a great weakend.

Regards.
Dr.Muhammad Ahmad