Is my son's weight gain due to diabetes ?

Dr. V. Kumaravel

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2012 in Diabetes
Question: My 13 yr old has a fasting BG of 79 and HA1C of 5.8,I am a type 1 Diabetic and I am worried.He has gained a severe amount of weight in only a year going from 124lbs to170lbs! And his liver functions came back high?Is he diabetic? Please help!
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 3 hours later

I can understand that you are a suffering from Type 1 Diabetes and worried about your sons weight and sugar.

The blood glucose and HBA1c values provided by you are not consistent with Diabetes and you need not be worried.

His weight gain is definitly a concern. The most common cause of weight gain is nutritional, where you eat more and play less. Of cousrse other cause like Hypothyroidism has to be ruled out. Obesity itself can sometimes lead to fatty liver and altered liverfunction reports, that resolves with weight loss. It is preferable to have a complete clinical examination to figgure out things better.

Hope this answers your query. Wishing you and your son good health.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T