Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Is my Vitamin B12 levels in the normal range?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
My B12 level was 276, why is this considered low?...I am a 48 yrs old and female.
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 46 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
The values of B12 vary slightly between different labs.
The approximate range in the UK is 180-910. It can vary slightly between different labs. However, it is evident that this level is set too low. In Japan, the lower normal figure starts at 500 and, interestingly, Japan has a lower incidence of dementia, probably due to the fact that it treats anyone with a B12 level lower than 500. Research has shown that neurological damage can result from a B12 level lower than 400. However, this is only part of the picture. One can still be deficient despite displaying a normal serum B12 level as it only measures the total amount of cobalamin in your body, however, only a small portion of this (between 10-30%) is actually available for cellular uptake. In addition, a tissue deficiency can be caused by a genetic defect in the Methylation Cycle and, again, this would not be evident from a serum B12 test. A more accurate way of determining a B12 deficiency is to have both Homocysteine and Methylmalonic Acid levels checked.
Homocysteine is formed in body from methionine( an amino acid found in protein) in a process that can be blocked by VIT B 12.
endothelial dysfunction ( narrowing of arteries) which in turn is believed to be precursor of atherosclerosis.

So it is always better to keep your B12 levels in middle of the normal range.
In other words around 400 to 500.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor