Is muscular dystrophy genetic?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello, I am a 30 years old woman, having one daughter. My father's sister's sons were suffering from genetic disorder Muscular dystrophy. Is it completely safe, if I give birth to a boy, in future or should I do any genetic tests for it? My father is normal.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some risk if definitely there

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

There is definitely an increased risk in case of your offsprings. However, it us not something that you need to be concerned about. Rather than genetic tests, I would insist on monitoringthe developmental milestones as they develop with time. Unless the gross motor milestones are delayed you have no reason to be concerned.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 hours later
Hello Sir, thanks for your prompt reply. As I understand this disorder is X chromosome linked and me father is normal means he is carrying normal X chromosome from his mother.Then , being his daughter, how the risk is associated.will you please explain this.And please also give some details about the test you mentioned and where it can be done?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does not essentially mean that it is DMD

Detailed Answer:
Duchenne muscular dystrophy is inherited in an X-linked recessive pattern. But muscular dystrophy does not essentially mean that it is Duchenne muscular dystrophy. For example, Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy is a disorder characterized by muscle weakness and wasting (atrophy) and is inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern.

I am not talking about any investigation. As the child grows, it is supposed to be able to sit by 8 months and stand by 12 months of age. I am talking about a delay in such milestones which would be essentially present in muscular dystrophy.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj