Is muscle spasm, tinnitus, headaches side effect of Ciprofloxacin?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Here are a couple of bloodtest parameters I did because of Ciprofloxacin side effects.
Please comment on them (low ldh, high lipase, high HBs-AK quant, high Hepatitis A IgG-quant, low scale folic acid).
See attachments.

My symptoms from the Ciprofloxacin side effects are:
tendonitis/tendinosis, muscle spasm/pain, neuropathy, tinnitus, headache, etc...
I was a healrhy 26 year old athlete before this poison destroyed my body.

Soncerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hepatitis B and LDH deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I have gone through your reports in detail and here are my inferences

1. Low LDH is usually seen in LDH deficiency which is an inherited genetic disorder most commonly causing severe muscle aches and joint pains especially after exercise. It is a rare disease. I advice you to approach a physician for further work up
2. Hepatitis A which is high in you is of the IgG type which means that you had contracted this Hepatitis A virus earlier in the past and now you have become immunized against it. Do not worry about this
3. HbsAK positivity is of concern, it means that you are having hepatitis b virus in your body. MOst often this virus is self limiting and will not cause harm but please get a liver function test, USG abdomen and pelvis, HBV DNA analysis done. It might require treatment to prevent cirrhosis of liver
4. High lipase in the body is non specific it can be caused because of high alcohol intake, high triglycerides, pancreatitis, gall bladder infection, etc. If you are asymptomatic I advice you to repeat this after 1 week.
5. Folic acid deficiency is most of the time nutritional, I advice you to take Folic acid 5mg daily for 1 month and repeat the test

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later
I was a high level athlete and NEVER had muscle and joint pain before. Only after getting Ciprofloxacin the tendon and muscle pain started. Can Ciprofloxacin cause low LDH as I never had issues before while training 5 hours a day 5 days a week? What can be done to cure low LDH?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not related to Low LDH

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

Ciprofloxacin is known to cause tendonitis and muscle pain which is usually self limiting. Sometimes extremely severe causing tendon rupture.
It could be possible that the severe form of muscle and joint pain was because of Ciprofloxacin and low LDH was a confounding factor

There is currently no treatment for LDH deficiency. It is only symptomatic therapy in the form of pain killers and local analgesic agents.

I advice you to wait until you are better to start training again. Tendon injury might worsen if you start training at the moment.

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 minutes later
2009 I did a test for ldh and back then it was 161 which was normal range.
How can this be?

As said I never had any muscle or joint pain before ciprofloxacin.

Further my Hepatitis A and B counts are most likely the result of vaccinations and not of the viruses themselves right?
I got both vaccines and the same bloodtest results back in 2009.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for gettting back

You now have LDH deficiency, please let me know why LDH was sent in 2009 as it is not an usual routine investigation.

This is Ciprofloxacin is definitely the cause for your muscle aches, it will get better with time. Avoid this group of drugs from the next time.

Hepatitis A Ig G positivity could be because of the immunization however HbsAg positivity always indicates an active form of infection.The effectiveness of Hepatitis B vaccination should be checked every once in 5 years with HbsAB, the HbsAb titres should be normal for effective protection. Please get the investigations I have recommended in my previous post.

I hope I was of help, I am sorry for the short delay in my reply to you, I was on call at my hospital