Is mouth ulcer symtpom of HIV?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
Hello Doctor,

I took TMA RNA test on 15th day after exposure. The result was 'Not-detected'. Also, I took 4th generation HIV combo test at 30th day after exposure. The result was 'non-reactive'. But, now I am at 35th day after exposure and developed a mouth ulcer. This again started worrying me. Please let me know whether the results are conclusive or the mouth ulcer that I developed yesterday still indicate that I may have HIV?

Note : I took chicken and eggs almost daily for the past 3-4 days. Could this be a reason for mouth ulcer?
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV 1 infection ruled out conclusively.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Your TMA RNA test and 4th generation Combo HIV test ruled out HIV 1 Infection beyond any doubt. (HIV 1 infection is 99% common among the HIV infected patients). A very rare possibility of HIV 2 (less than 1%) is yet to be ruled out. It can be ruled out only with antibody based tests, that too, only by 12 weeks after the high risk exposure. But this is a very rare possibility. Your symptom of mouth ulcer is a very common problem not necessarily related to be due to HIV. Breast sucking and fingering carry a negligible risk for HIV.
Dr S.Murugan