Is molluscum contagiosum a contagious disease?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: My daughter 4 had molluscum contagiosum which has gone away now with a course of probiotics and vitamins. I have found 5 in my upper bikini area. Could I have caught it from her? My partner does not have any... What does this mean for our active sex life?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later

Yes, you might have acquired the infection from your daughter.
Because it can spread by skin to skin contact or through contact with contaminated utensils.
As you are having molluscum contagiosum near your genital area better to avoid intercourse till the lesions are treated and completely resolved to prevent spreading the infection to your partner.
Also you have to take precautions like:
Wash your hands frequently.
Don't touch the bumps and cover the bumps as per as possible.
Avoid sharing personal items.
Take treatment early.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.