Is moles that have not evolved or itchy benign or malignant?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have two moles on my lower left back, one is below the waste line. they have not evolved or began to itch or bleed. I've hand a few atypical moles removed before. are these along the same of being atypical? I will be going to my dermatologist on 7/29/14. looking for a piece of mind or what I could potentially be looking at. I'm hoping they are indeed benign
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest Dermoscopic evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your concern and I have understood it. I have looked at the Images. The first picture looks like a dysplastic nevus (though a little blurred does show that the nevus has irregular edges and is not perfectly round or oval. I could not make out whether the borders are actually blurred or they are out of focus. A better focused photograph may help). The second one is a dysplastic nevus (irregular edges, ill defined/blurred borders).

A dysplastic nevus is a type of mole that looks different from a common mole. While normal moles are round or oval, less than 5 mm in diameter, even colored. A dysplastic nevus, on the other hand, has irregular and notched edges, often wider than 5 mm and a mixture of different shades.

However, most dysplastic nevi do not turn into melanoma. The chance of melanoma is about ten times greater for someone with more than five dysplastic nevi than for someone who has none, and the more dysplastic nevi a person has, the greater the chance of developing melanoma.

I would suggest a dermoscope evaluation for a better evaluation and if the lesion is found to be sufficiently atypical, it ought to be removed.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Doctor,

I've uploaded better resolution pictures that eliminates the blur. I also forgot to note in my first question that these moles have been present for at least several years and at my last dermatologist appointment a year and half ago. I do have a history of atypia moles but nothing malignant. Please review the newly uploaded pictures that are labeled mole 14 and mole 15. Both of these moles are smaller than a pencil eraser. The one labeled mole 14 width wise is 5mm.
I do have a dermatologist appointment on 7/29/14. I'm just a worrier. I have a young child and I just want to make sure I'm here on this earth for as long as I can.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dermoscopic evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thanks for the photographs. They do look like dysplastic to me: irregular, illdefined/blurred borders, asymmetric, colour variegation (mole 14). However, having said that, it does'nt mean they would necessarily turn into a melanoma. Just have to follow up regarding any change in size or character.

I would still suggest a dermoscopic evaluation by your dermatologist and if the lesion is found to be sufficiently atypical, it ought to be removed.

Did your dermatologist examine these one, when you last visited him/her?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
They saw those areas but did not remove. I was also at my dermatologists office a month ago and they did glance over my back, I'm not sure if they say those marks. They were looking at two areas where I previously had moles removed. I am sure they had have seen them.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dysplastic nevi

Detailed Answer:
hi

Mole 14: The lesion has a regular border that is indefinite or ‘fuzzy’ in some areas, and with slightly variegated shades of XXXXXXX and brown pigment.

Mole 15: The lesion has an irregular, slightly fuzzy border.

However, I would suggest you to ask specifically about these moles during your next visit with your dermatologist.