Is mild cerebral edema a cause for concern post stent placement?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Jan 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello again, Dr. Taka. I thought you'd be interested to know that the stent inserted into my stepfather's carotid artery was successful and he will return home tomorrow. The doctor said he had some slight swelling in the brain which might contribute to the periodic confusion. He kept thinking he was in a hotel instead of the hospital, and kept asking why he was there. I spoke to him today but he was totally fine. He just complained that the food in the hospital was tasteless! Anyway, the doctor hopes the confusion will improve once he's back home.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for letting me know the outcome, I am glad that the procedure went well.

If the stroke he's had is a small one as they say then there shouldn't be much swelling. Anyway whether due to the low perfusion from the narrowed artery, to the swelling, to the loss of cells from the stroke, to the dementia exacerbated from the stay in the hospital or (what is more likely) from all of these contributing together, improvement is expected once he's back.

Do not hesitate if you need further assistance