Is microalbuminuria level of 1,943 mg/dl a cause for concern?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My friend who is a 50-year-old Caucasian female who was diagnosed 4 years ago with hypertension. Her BP reading are consistantly high, in the range of 150s/80s to 160s/90s. She is taking lisinopril that was increased from 10 to 20 mg a day. She also is overweight, suffers from migraine headaches and she has type-2 diabetes. A recent fasting glucose was 110 mg/dl. A year ago a spot urine test show a microalbuminuria level of 1,943 mg/dl. Dose this patient have kidney damage? what does a level of 1,943 of microalbumin means? and I wondering what wasn't something done last year when this abnormal level was noted? Could this problem be caused by her hypertension since her diabetes based on a fasting glucose of 110 mg/dl is fairly normal or under control?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its a quite high value

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you i understand your concern and i would like to tell you that MICROALBUNIURIA is basically a sign of early kidney disease.

Values 30 to 300 signifies microalbuminuria and above 300mg/dl means macroalbuminuria which makes the possibility of developing kidney disease is more.

Its advisable that she should consult a nephrologist for this issue. Also i would like to suggest to get an HBA1c test done to see the long term glycemic (sugar) control.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana