Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Is methadone intake for pain relief safe when allergic to opiates?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
I have been encouraged by a palative care giver to use methadone for pain relief. I am allergic to most of the opiate narcotics that are given for pain. She told me I could successfully take methadone as a pain reliever. under a Doctor's care. I just got out of the hospital after 4 days of trying to find a pain reliever to cover my chronic pain. I have a pain level of 5 to 6 most of the time, with spikes up to 8 to 9. Can you give me some incite into this can of treatment for pain.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Attend a pain clinic. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. At a pain level of 5-6 you can get relief with strong non opioid pain killers like naproxen or piroxicam. Adding oral muscle relaxants can also help in reducing the pain. Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches. You can attend a pain clinic for proper prescriptions. If none of the above measures are helpful, pain specialist have used low dose tricyclic antidepressants, gabapentins or other anticonvulsants for modifying the intensity of perceived pain. This is also an option available which can be tried. Discuss with your doctors to prescribe the medications if needed Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor