question-icon

Is metal poisoning a risk factor while on retainer?

default
Posted on Mon, 9 May 2016
Question: I had braces about 10 to 15 years ago. They left a metal brace on my top front teeth, behind them specifically. Now that was over 13 years ago and its still there. I went to the dentist about 5 or 6 years ago. They said just leave it in. But ive heard a lot about metal poisoning. Should i go to take it out? Or am i not at risk for metal poisoning. Do you have any insight on it? Thanks
doctor
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Metal brace/ retainer can cause Metallic Poisoning..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain it seems that you are wearing a Permanent Retainer and metallic poisoning is commonly seen with Stainless steel braces/retainers..
It can react with other metals if present inside mouth like certain metallic fillings..

At times there can be poisoning with very less symptoms that can go unnoticed..

But as you are wearing Retainers since 13 years and if you have not experienced any abnormality, there is a possibility that you have not been exposed to toxicity..

I would still advice you to consult your treating Orthodontist and get evaluated and discuss with him about the metal used in the retainer that you are wearing and if they are still needed or can be removed..

Decision regarding continuing the retainer or removal along with changing the material used in retainer can be done after a clinical examination and your Orthodontist can treat you accordingly..

Any further questions are welcome..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 14017 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Is metal poisoning a risk factor while on retainer?

Brief Answer: Metal brace/ retainer can cause Metallic Poisoning.. Detailed Answer: Hi.. Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC.. I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns.. As per your complain it seems that you are wearing a Permanent Retainer and metallic poisoning is commonly seen with Stainless steel braces/retainers.. It can react with other metals if present inside mouth like certain metallic fillings.. At times there can be poisoning with very less symptoms that can go unnoticed.. But as you are wearing Retainers since 13 years and if you have not experienced any abnormality, there is a possibility that you have not been exposed to toxicity.. I would still advice you to consult your treating Orthodontist and get evaluated and discuss with him about the metal used in the retainer that you are wearing and if they are still needed or can be removed.. Decision regarding continuing the retainer or removal along with changing the material used in retainer can be done after a clinical examination and your Orthodontist can treat you accordingly.. Any further questions are welcome.. Hope this information helps.. Thanks and regards. Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.